Radio Frequency Surgery
Radio Frequency Surgery
RRadio Surgery (Radiofrequency or Radiowave Surgery) is used to remove moles, warts, skin tags and other so called ‘lumps and bumps’. It involves the passage of radio waves into the skin to perform the removal or reshaping of a lesion. Different types of electrodes are used depending on the type of lesion, e.g. fine needle, wire loop, scalpel blade etc. Expect minor swelling, redness, bruising and tenderness in the area for a few days as it heals. There should not however be any bleeding due to the tissue coagulation during treatment. Radiofrequency or radiowave surgery is extremely versatile and can be used in many medical specialities including General Surgery, Craniofacial Surgery, Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Gynaecology and Neurosurgery.
In Dermatology and Cosmetic Medicine it is used for minor surgical procedures such as removing telangiectasias (thread veins), sculpting rhinophyma (bulbous growths on the nose), flattening and sculpting nevi (birthmarks and moles), postsurgical irregularities, scars revision, sebaceous hyperplasia (cauliflower shaped growths), ‘‘unroofing’’ cysts, etc.
In Plastic Surgery it is used in many aesthetic procedures such as eyebag removal (blepharoplasty) and facelifts (rythidectomy).
Many studies have shown the technology also provides excellent results during removal of superficial carcinomas (e.g. skin cancers) as well as debulking and delineating deeper skin cancers as in Mohs surgery.
Uses of RF in dermatosurgery
- Removal of skin tags, warts, seborrheic keratoses (harmless skin growths), syringoma (harmless tumours within sweat glands), and trichoepithelioma (harmless tumours within the hair follicle).
- Removal of melanocytic nevi (brown moles), telangectasias (thread veins), early skin tumours.
- Skin biopsies and grafts.
- Resurfacing of scars (chicken pox, acne etc.).
- Primary resection of keloids (thick, raised scars).
- Debulking of skin tumours.
- Resurfacing in case of Rhinophyma, Darier’s disease etc.
- Hair restoration surgery: scalp reduction, scalp lifting, scalp flaps.
- Excision of plantar fibromata (warts on the feet - verrucas), in-growing toe nail.
- Non ablative face lift.
Advantages of radio-surgery include:
- Rapid healing.
- Minimal or no bleeding.
- Aesthetically pleasing scars or no scars.
- Lesser operating time.
- Office/Clinic procedure.
Dr. Narendra Patwardhan, at Hair and Skin clinic, Bhandarkar Road, Pune is an expert Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Skin Specialist and Hair Specialist and has expert knowledge and a great deal of expertise in Radio Surgery.